READ TIME: 4 min
These days, there are so many gizmos and gadgets out there that we don’t know what tech tools actually help us get the job done. Save money, save time, and save your stress with these game-changing hacks that you might not have heard of, but undoubtedly will never be able to live without.
1) Copy, Paste and Don’t Copy Again.
Ever going through a document and need to copy and paste more than once, but don’t want to re-copy something each time? We have the solution! The Fly Cut app for computers using MacOS is a clipboard manager that saves your clipboard history so you don’t have to keep track of everything manually.
2) “There’s Nothing Like A Good Shortcut”
...Said everyone on the Platterz Engineering team. Efficiency is key (pun intended), so when it comes to keyboard shortcuts you can never have too many. Use these lesser known shortcuts and you’ll never look back:
- Command # switches between tabs in your internet browser
- Command L highlights the website URL in the address bar
- Command Shift Arrow highlights full line of text at once
3) Recycle Your Old Computer Hard Drive for Extra Storage
Just when you thought that your old computer was out of use… think again. Before you throw it away, take it to a repair shop, Microsoft or Apple store, and ask them to extract the hard drive. This hard drive will be your golden ticket to extra storage as it becomes your new ‘external’ hard drive that you didn’t have to purchase. All you have to buy is the case to make sure it doesn’t get damaged.
4) Password Hacks to Avoid Getting Hacked
What do you need to always remember when creating a password you need to remember?
1: Make It A Phrase
Contrary to popular belief, rather than mixing up a bunch of letters, numbers and characters, using a phrase as a password is actually safer. Think: blue_icecream_travel_mix_adorable_puppy_peanut_butter or other random, meaningless mixes.
2: Make It Long
Two words? No. Four words? Getting there. Six to eight words is the optimal amount to keeping your password protected.
3: Make It Memorable
Keep in mind that the words you choose have to easily come to mind. Avoid using facts or words that people would expect to know about you (yes, using your first pet’s name is too easy). Instead, jumble words together you never think of, but that sound catchy enough that you’ll be able to refer to it when logging into your accounts.
5) High-Res Photo Saving (from Instagram)
When your colleague posts a photo of the team on Instagram, but you want it saved in high resolution for your next photo album? Visit the app online and follow these 6 simple steps:
- Click on the photo you like to enlarge the image
- Right Click (Control + Click) > View Page Source
- Command + F > search jpg
- Based on the first jpg mention in the code, highlight the URL beginning from https:// and ending in jpg
- Copy the URL + Paste in new tab
- Right Click (Control + Click) > Save Image As
6) Screenshot the FULL Webpage
Don’t spend time cutting, pasting, cropping, zooming out… use the Awesome Screenshot Chrome Extension to screenshot the entire webpage you’re viewing, even if the full page isn’t visible all at once. It really is awesome!
7) Customize Slack Colours
If you know, you know. The office messaging app Slack is a life saver when it comes to chatting with the team, but, did you know that not just your conversations can be custom? Change your slack page with a few simple steps:
- Scroll down to Theme
- Feeling Adventurous? Customize your theme
- Share it with your coworkers and start the office trend!
8) Fly Through The Charging Process
When you’re in a rush, but your phone battery is at an all-time low, switch it to airplane mode before plugging it in. When it’s in flight mode, the battery charges faster since it’s not using all of the apps in the background. Your phone will land at 100% in a flash!
Now that you’ve got your software set, be sure to check out our post on Desk Décor to learn about the easy, stylish upgrades you can make to your desktop hardware.